16.5.14

Kitchen 2.0

Eons ago when we first moved in here (nearly 2 months ago holy smokes), I promised to share pictures of it 'lived in'. And it's been on my mind- I have not forgotten. I keep thinking- when I finally clean the damn place up then I'll do it...or when I sew curtains for the darn closet I'll do it...or when I sew cushion covers for our makeshift couch I'll do it...or when I bring our stack of paintings (which is HUGE) up north for storage I'll do it... the list goes on.

And I was thinking about other blogs and these people's perfect lives. And you know what- mine isn't. Especially not my home. It's a rental, it's the cheapest of the cheap (maybe not, but you know.), we're allowed to paint and hang pictures up but we definitely can't have everything we want. We're limited by money as most students are, and by the fact that we're uber busy and again... it's a rental.

I tend to follow mom blogs, or single mid-20s DIY chic fashionistas and for a while I aimed to make something similar. But I'm not a mom, I'm not single, I'm not wealthy, and I don't have much spare time or money to be renovating my apartment, or doing DIY projects all day long to share. I do some, but not as often as you and I like to believe. So I thought- I'll share my kitchen today and y'all can take it how you want.

I'm a starving art student (although I'd say the largest part of our budget goes towards food so don't worry mum), and this is my kitchen!


I tried to take a picture of the blue we painted it, which didn't really work out. It's kind of a robin's egg type blue.


Our kitchen is pretty much a hallway to the bathroom, with a lineup of all the appliances & cupboards on one wall, and this blank wall opposite. This is the blue wall.


I love this tiny part of the wall, it's near our front door. The yellow box used to be the doorbell thing but it doesn't work- if you ring our number downstairs it goes directly to Aj's cellphone. That mirror is my mom's and I think it's pretty old. I don't know if she knows that I have it or not.



Did I tell you Aj made the handle for that tea-pot out of a hanger ? If not, that's what he did. It was annoying to have to use both hands with oven mitts every time I wanted tea. Notice our stove is much larger than the last one, although it's not gas which is ok but not as cool.


Wow! Look at all the dishes I did today. I'm pretty pleased with myself. I made raspberry muffins which turned out more like raspberry scones yesterday. They're so good. But I had plenty of dishes to do afterwards. I also made a meal we ate in Peru a lot the other day and Aj has been eating the leftovers like crazy. He's obsessed. 

You might also notice Aj's little collection of alcohol on top of the fridge (don't even get me started about what's in the fridge). He's decided he wants to like scotch, but it's not going very well. Mostly it just sits up there collecting dust ;) I'm working on G&T and bought some lime cordial the other day which was weird. As a kid I mixed it with water. I get all nostalgic by the bottle.




There are the muffins (in the bottom right corner!), a picture of my parents, our sweet vintage thermos, and our Norman Rockwell calendar which I love. There's a bit more counter space at this place, and a ton more cupboard space. So that's good. It is a little weird compared to the last place. We actually have a kitchen, rather than a closet with a stove. 

Strange things remind me of the last place - like sunlight dish soap. We didn't use it when we first moved here until a week or two ago, and every time it reminds me of running out of dish soap in the middle of winter and running to home hardware and grabbing some sun light in a maxi dress, and my moccasins. I don't know why that stuck with me, but it did. It just totally represented my life this winter. Wearing the wrong shoes, the wrong clothes for the weather, and being stuck without soap, with a huge pile of dishes awaiting my return. Probably digging around for some change to buy it. I'm always losing my keys and wallet (not actually but I'm much too lazy to look for them when I'm constantly putting them in strange places).

Anywho. That's my kitchen. Maybe this weekend I'll share my studio/living room or something. 
We'll see. That one actually needs a good tidy. 
I hope y'all have seen my stuff up at the Well. You can buy it if you want to ;) The little one's only $25. And if I come up this weekend I'll be bringing another for $50.

Love.
H

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments & feedback!! Please feel free to leave some here.