17.4.14

Dear future art students

This could be long. and honest.



Well. First year is done, and it's been crazy fast, I've done a lot of work, a lot of art, and I feel like my whole world has been opened up. Art school is weird. I wasn't really sure if it was what I wanted to do a year ago when I decided, but I don't think anything else would have really worked for me. I'm not into school. I have hated it for the majority of my life. I will however, be going back to finish a second year and hopefully a third, and fourth. I want to do this.



Here's the thing- I've seen a ton of posts tagged in Instagram's #OCAD or #OCADU about first years, I know a few people who have been accepted, and I know of some at Banting who are planning on coming here in the future. My advice to you is to think really frickin' hard if this is something that's a hobby for you, or is it something you want to do every day, be thinking about constantly, and living your entire life about. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to do that when I got to OCAD and I really thought about dropping out after first year. Sometimes, it all feels so fake, and shallow. We're talking about deep topics, and addressing enormous subjects in art- and it all feels futile in a three hour critique where we forget it all once we leave the room. You have to be a little removed from it sometimes.



When everyone hears you're at art school, they start either mocking or engaging you in a conceptual discussion. And I'm serious- that your whole life becomes a concept, or a few, or a ton. OCAD is a really conceptually based school- your ideas are what matter more than your execution of them (although that is important too). My perspective on life, and my mindset has altered a lot. Wherever I am, I'm analyzing the design of things, I'm trying to take inspiration from mundane urban objects, forms, shapes, anything. It's kind of funny yes. But at the same time, this is something that I am going to need to try to make a living off of- my ideas. And that's kind of scary.



I'm not that great at art. I'm ok, but Aj (and a lot of my peers) have always been much better than me. And that's something I've had to come to terms with. At OCAD I sit in the middle- I'm not bad, I'm not fantastic. And that was hard for me at first. Art school is pretty competitive, you're marked in comparison to your peers, and the good artists get the jobs right? Wrong. I had to kind of learn that there's a niche for everyone, and there are a lot of options for someone who's just average (like me). You just have to find a style, or a method or whatever, that makes you stand out. I'm working at it. I have yet to find something, but I think I'm getting close.



It's strange, I'm certain all art students experience this: in highschool you're the best (or pretty good) at art, right? (I got voted at Prom- which I didn't go to- the artsiest)! But then you get accepted to OCAD and you think- wow I must be really good to get in there, it's a pretty big name school. Then you get there and you're like holy crap, I'm average because everyone else that got accepted is amazing. (although some, you wonder how the heck they got in.......) So if this happens to you, don't worry, it's normal. You'll find your way.

It's also different from highschool in that you're expected to do around 40 hours of homework a week- doing art. In highschool we did 4 projects a term, university you do one or two a week. It's hard to get used to forcing yourself to get creative. Which I think is why a lot of people drop out (60%), they're creative people, but can't keep it up ALL THE TIME.

Yes, this is me as a kid artist. Precious Moments prodigy.



University is expensive. So if you're planning on doing it- think about it. I sometimes regret not doing a gap year and jumping in straight from highschool. It was a crazy time. I actually moved out the day after my last exam, and came back home for my commencement because I had accepted a job in the early summer.

This is at my commencement and we're all trying not be sappy babies.



As much as I've learned about myself, I've learned there's a lot more to learn.

Here's our first apartment :



My advice for first years:
1. Move at the beginning, or middle of summer. If you haven't lived on your own yet it takes a bit of getting used to. Allow some time for adjustment! I am so glad I moved when I did, because not only was I moving out, but I was moving in with Aj- which was also a huge transition. I'm glad we got the time to settle in before jumping head first into school.

2. Don't go to art school if you can be successful in anything else. (This advice was taken from every professor I've had so far).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments & feedback!! Please feel free to leave some here.