20.6.14

sjp

Hey. So as promised (I'm sure my dad has been patiently waiting for this, trying not to get his hopes up too high), here is a post about my dad.


Here's a handsome school photo of him.


Me and my dad have had a few years of awkward silence (in my teenage angst), a lot of small talk, and hilarious dad jokes. Since moving out, I think we've understood each other better (mum included). Not just because I've moved out (but a lot because of that), but I'm also older.

It's funny - I think every oldest child thinks that they have the most conversations with their parents, and that their parents trust them more than their siblings, and whatnot. This probably isn't true. But it's true that I'm older first, and I'll always know my parents 2 years longer (and better) than my siblings haha. And I love that. My mom has actually started calling me and talking to me about whatever's stressing her out, and it makes me feel so adult.

But anyways this is about my dad.


Oh look - it's me and my dad.


My family was a traditional, and typical Christian family. I didn't appreciate it much in highschool, but before and after highschool I did and do. My dad worked really hard so my mom could be a stay at home mama and homeschool us until I was 8. They had four little kidlets, on a single, unsteady income in a tiny 3 bedroom townhouse. I had no idea at the time that it might be hard and how much my dad worked for us to be able to know them (instead of a nanny, or babysitter, or whatever).

Even though my dad was working his butt off for us at home, he still made a ton of time for us. He memorized every single flag in the world with me when I was 6 or 7 (literally all 200 something of them), and helped me do a bunch of projects on Egypt, took us camping and hiking, taught us how to ride our bikes, and a million other things.

When I got to school, he built all of my projects, I seriously thought I was helping at the time- (trebuchet, battering ram, seige tower were all for my grade 4 medieval times project- it was intense. I shot a barbie head from the trebuchet at the only part that I built which was a Styrofoam cooler flipped upside down to be a castle). He also built my brother and sister's boats for a class project... guess who came home the winner...


Here's his latest- you can see how proud and guilty he is.
Anyways, besides my childhood fun my dad has been a pinnacle of strength in our household. He knows what he believes, and where he stands. Even if we don't agree, I have a steadfast father standing behind whatever I do. Over the years, and especially since February, I've seen my dad rise up to become the head of our family in a GOOD way. To y'all that don't like patriarchy and that kind of stuff, I wish you knew my grandfather, and my dad who is very much like his dad. Because they lead our family well. They've made some really beautiful people (My dad, Gwyn, Xander, Maris, Kieran & Andrew, Sharron) in both looks ;) and heart. Our family has been adopted by many people looking for a FAMILY. People can have family that don't act like family. I lucked out - I have a real family. And my dad helps make it that way.


This picture is embarrassing and hilarious. But it's like the ONLY family photo of my dad's side we have.

There's a million things that can go wrong in girls who have a lack of a father figure in their lives, and thankfully I don't have to worry about that since I have a rockin' dad.

Speaking about rockin'. My dad is also really cool (in case you didn't know) and even though he can't play any instruments or anything, he has inspired a love of music in me just as much as my mum who can play and sing. When we were little he bought us CDs that were from a bunch of different places. Maris sung in Swahili for like a year straight. You could also catch us singing a huge variety of stuff from Tool, to the Mad Caddies, to Diana Krall, to the Tragically Hip, to a whole pile of other stuff. My taste was largely developed and broadened by him. I wouldn't be so cool, if he wasn't so cool. 

I also got my introverted pessimist outlook on life from him. But it's cool because occasionally my dad will completely shock everyone and speak at church or be really honest with one of us, or come completely out of his shell. And he's a total example to me of how I can do the same thing.

I could write for ages about how great my dad is. I have a ton of stories, and I think you probably do too- so leave some in the comments section on Facebook, or on this post (especially funny stories) about my dad.

I love you & thanks dad.

H


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments & feedback!! Please feel free to leave some here.