11.6.14

Jobs

Some of you may know about my bad luck with jobs. I've had a plethora of jobs. And it's not like I want to- I'm kind of embarrassed about it really. But honestly - only a few have been my fault. Most of the time I have a weird boss, or I'm getting ripped off, or I'm doing a job made for someone two times older and larger than me, or people quit on me, or I get fired (yes that has happened...only once). If you're reading this, and I've worked for you, don't assume you are horrible. I've had many jobs so who even knows which ones I'm referring to- probably not you if you still keep in touch and follow me and stuff.

My problem is that I want to work for small businesses. I want to support, and be a part of local businesses- so I generally look for one of a kind little places. And for some reason that screws me over every time. Because big corporations, or chains, or franchises, or whatever- have rules, and they play by them (hopefully). But I've found that unfortunately, many private businesses don't.

 I've caught myself wondering, "Maybe I shouldn't be putting my hands in dirty dishwater after slicing my hand open." or, "They only hired me because they can pay me student wages, I clearly can't do this job." or "Maybe this children's store should have aisles wide enough for strollers." or, "I wish I got a schedule via email rather than on a memo pad that I forgot to take a picture of and therefore don't know my schedule." or "why wasn't I properly paid and what's the deal with my taxes, I should keep track of this myself." or "my t4 is wrong" or "I was hired as a cashier and by day 2 I'm a keyholder and working by myself... these people trust anyone." or "why am I looking up used sergers on kijiji for my boss outside of work hours." or "why am I having their credit card information?" and other weird stuff that I wouldn't be thinking if I was working at Walmart. (Not that I want to work there).

I'm still hoping to find a place that can handle the law, and just be reasonable people in general.

I was hoping I would find that in one of my new jobs (I won't say which one because I don't want someone to see this and like tell my manager "you know that Hayley... she blogged about you and it didn't look too good. You better read it yourself."). And I did! There are rules, they follow them. It's all great. Except for my manager. And even s/he goes by the book. (which gets annoying sometimes because I've been so used to having no rules, or strange ones if I have them).

Anywho, this manager of mine has no communication skills whatsoever. S/he's constantly playing mind games with me, and treating me like crap or like a kid (which is equal if you're a capable young woman like myself). It's almost to the point that I can't decide if I should start looking elsewhere or if I can stick it out for the summer and use school as an excuse to put my notice in. (Right now I have to stay due to $$$).

I hate going to work, and that makes me sad. I want to like work because I like everyone else I work with, and I enjoy my job. But just the presence of this person makes me want to rip my hair out.
It's rough. And it's very hard to explain - when people ask, "what exactly has MM done (mean manager)?" I say, "well.... I don't know. It's just how s/he is." it sounds like I just don't like to work or something. But really. I can't put my finger on it because I don't have enough fingers and it's all little stuff that gives me bad vibes.

Is there anything I can do? and is there a max number of jobs to have on your resume without looking flaky?

Good grief.

I'm in a bit of a grump because of this, and also Aj just left for four days to camp and canoe up north and I'm a little sad about that, and also the celebration of my grandpa's life is this Saturday. So life just feels stupid, but it's okay because I have the night off and can maybe use it to do good alone stuff, and I'm seeing my parents soon and Aj will be back before long and I bought groceries to support the upcoming sadness (aka icecream, custard, chocolate pudding, granola bars, fruit loops, ciders, beer, etc).


Aj and I got the day together which was really a gift from above or something. It rained so Aj had the day off. I'm so thankful. Otherwise, he would have left for his trip after work while I was at work and I wouldn't have seen him. So we went to the beach in the rain, got gelato (what's the difference between it and icecream anyway?) and had a nice walk. We had a sweet breakfast and lunch, and we developed those pictures I shared earlier. Even though it was stressful because I was so bummed, my grouch didn't last very long and I'm glad we made the most of the time we got. It's silly but I miss him already. Happy travels you hooligans.







Anywho. that's where I'm at.
I sometimes miss living at my parent's house and being in highschool. When it didn't really matter if I quit my job, or my boyfriend was leaving for four days, or when my grandpa was alive. Of the three, I miss the last the most.

I'm having a sad day.

See ya,
H

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments & feedback!! Please feel free to leave some here.