31.3.14

Halloween

K. So I was sitting in class talking to two of my buddies (yes, I actually am making friends...), and we were talking about halloween. They were talking about the sweet costumes they've had, and creepy halloween experiences and as soon as I opened my mouth, I was laughing. To tears.

My halloween experience has always been strange.

As a kid, my parents didn't believe in halloween- which is fine. I didn't mind too much. The thing that was weird about it was that we'd turn off all of the lights and hide in the basement so that people wouldn't knock on our door. Which was really scary and fun for me as a kid. What is this weird day that we hide in the basement with the lights off? It was a pretty fun little game. Let's see who can be the quietest, so that nobody knows we're here- otherwise people dressed like dead people will ask us for candy. It was a strange concept for me.

When I was 8 we moved to Baxter. Which is out in the boonies for those of you from Toronto that don't know anywhere beyond the GTA. My parents had 17 acres, and there are small hobby farms, and horse farms around us. So it's like a 5 minute walk to each house & we have a baby, a 5, 6 and an 8 year old which makes it slower. It's my first halloween and because there's like 5 houses to go to on our road my parents decide to dress up this year. I dressed up as a granny. Not too creative I must admit, but it didn't matter much because when we knocked on people's doors, they were like, "we haven't had people trick or treat here for over 20 years!!" so we came home with some granola bars, and some chocolates, and some cans of pop because nobody was prepared.

I was a granny again the next year - and you're probably wondering "aren't you like, an artist and can't you sew?" The answer to both is yes. But if you know me, you probably also know that I procrastinate. So that answers the rest for you. My costumes were usually pulled off a few hours before take-off.

After that I was a mummy. Worst idea ever. I thought it was a sweet idea at first. It's easy, and would look cool. I just wore long-johns, and a tank top and wrapped up in toilet paper, threw some black lipstick on and there yea go! Well.
1. When I showed my friends this picture, they said- KKK. And it is pretty freakin creepy.
2. By the end of the night I had unravelled and was knocking on people's doors in my long-johns. People stopped giving me candy because I wasn't dressed up.
3. My parents found me later. Maris was sitting in her wagon playing in the heap of toilet paper my parents had collected from the trail I left behind.


My final, and best costume which still makes me cry laugh to this day, was my potato costume.
For the life of me I cannot find a picture on facebook, so if I find one I'll update- so for now you'll just have to imagine. When I was three (ish) ACF the church had a Veggietales float in the Potato Festival in Alliston. And me and my mum were potatoes on it. These costumes had been kicking around for ages, so I used my mom's brown sac-like costume, stuffed it with pillows, rubbed some dirt on my face, wore a brown hat, and collected my candy in a potato bag. It was a smash hit. Being from Alliston- where all the farmers grow are potatoes, and the Lays commercials feature people I went to school with- it was pretty popular. But it`s still a pretty weird thing to dress up as. A potato.


So that`s the history of my Halloween adventures.

I hope you're having a thrilling day- although if you're reading this you probably aren't and are just trying to waste a bit of time. So I'm glad I've helped you in that venture. Good luck procrastinating fellow students facing finals, and here's a piece of hope- it's nearly summer.

xo.
H

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments & feedback!! Please feel free to leave some here.