12.11.14

FEMINIST RANT . (sorry, not sorry)

I'm going to do a little post here about something that is kind of unpopular. Nobody really wants to hear about Feminism anymore. But we discussed it in my class today, and my world was spun around.

There is a trend right now that goes, I don't need feminism because... (insert something true). It's usually about man- hating.

This is important- man hate is not okay, and there has been a lot of anger and hatred in the past. When I first saw this movement, I thought- yeah, I get what they're saying. But by saying we don't need feminism we are rejecting the women that gave us the choice to say that. We deny the history. We forget about artists like : Ana Mendieta, Lynn Hershman Leeson, Hannah Wilke, Carolee Schneemann, Yoko Ono, Judy Chicago, the Guerilla Girls, Howardena Pindell, Rachel Rosenthal, etc etc.





These women, and countless others fought pretty freaking hard for things to be where they are today. I don't want to forget them, or reject what they did for us. I am so thankful that I have the choice to live with Andrew without getting married, or settling down, and pursuing a career, and not be condemned (by everyone) for my choices. But the fight's not over. I need feminism because:

WOMEN STILL GET RAPED.
I still can't feel safe walking home after work. I still carry mace in my purse. I still can't have my headphones in if I'm walking alone at night. I still feel more comfortable in groups. There is so much of my day, and lifestyle that is affected by my sex. When I first brought this up to Andrew, he didn't even realize that this is the way we live our lives. Afraid of getting raped. Men need to get on board with feminism, and start taking responsibility for their actions. Stop raping people. Tell your friends to quit cat-calling, or being disgusting. This is still real. This isn't over until things are even stevens.





And I just wanted to let you all know that I'm gonna call myself a feminist, and I'm gonna do what I can to make things better for everyone- men included. Drop the stigma of man-hating feminists and get on board too.

Blah.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments & feedback!! Please feel free to leave some here.