13.11.13

Painting

Aj's dad came over recently and I realized how little work I had to show anyone from my university career so far. So I rounded all my work up from my classes and over the next few days/weeks depending on my work load, will share from each class. Most of it is really boring looking. But I'm learning a lot of interesting stuff. 
Right now I'm taking Art History: Up to the 1800s, Painting, Drawing, Photography, and Time Based Media (Video). I showed a photography piece I did last, and this post will be dedicated to my Painting class. 

Video is not my strongest point. And I don't like it much either. Just not my forte. I like watching the performance pieces, and video art we're exposed to in that class, but for me- trying to make it is tricky. I just can't manipulate the media to create whatever I had in mind which is disheartening. I will not be showing any of this work - maybe my final, but nothing else. 

I'll rant about Drawing another time. I got a should-be-retiree, plant loving old lady.

Anywho. Painting.


A lot of what we've done is colour theory and mixing. I love it. It's so neat to understand exactly what paints make what colours. 


Recently we were given a chip to match. I had so much fun with this. I still chew my nails, just don't look at it.



Colour wheels. This one was not as fun. Bla.


This was my first piece I handed in. It's achromatic (no colour- black and white and in between). It's acrylic. All of these are 16X20"
The thing about these is that they're not meant to be good paintings. So don't judge. They're geared so that we learn about paint, colour, and technique. Not so much making good paintings. I'm sure we'll get there sometime in the next 4 years.


The class is 3 hours long. Most of the pieces are set up in class, and that's how long we have to do it. This is in oil. It's a mannequin- not a person, we'll be doing figure painting next semester. 
This piece is also achromatic using a black that I mixed with primaries.


This isn't a great picture. Photography wise and painting wise. It's a high key (whiter), achromatic. Acrylic.
Again, it was about an hour and a half we had for this one. I enjoy painting within the given colour schemes, it makes it interesting.


This piece was supposed to be monochrome, but ended up being analagous. Meaning, rather than being strictly blue, it ended up being in the blue family. So I had to redo it. The result was this piece. A little smaller and nicer.


This one is oil. I feel comfier in oil. And every assignment I leave it too late to have time to use oil and then I hate it because it's in acrylics. 

This piece had to be mixed secondaries, aka tertiaries. Paper bags are not fun to look at for 3 hours. But whatever. I guess I was learning!

There are a few more that I'm not posting because my prof still has them. So for now, this is all I've done. I don't know how I feel about them yet. We'll see. I'll get Aj to post his, his projects are much more interesting & they generally look nicer than mine. 


xx
Thanks for checking up on me <3

H

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments & feedback!! Please feel free to leave some here.